HMS P514 (Lt Cdr R M E Pain) was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1941 under the Lend-Lease Agreement. She entered service in the Royal Navy on 9 March 1942 where she spent her days operating with the Royal Canadian Navy, largely in the capacity of a training vessel.
P514 sailed from the fishing village of Argentia on Canada’s eastern seaboard on 20 June 1942 escorted by the Flower class corvette, HMS PRIMROSE. She was routed along the ‘safest inshore route’ to St John’s, Newfoundland, 65 miles to the north. However, on 21 June 1942 she encountered an Allied convoy and was rammed and lost with All Hands.