HMS PANDORA (Lt R L Alexander) was bombed by enemy aircraft on 1 April 1942 whilst lying in Malta Harbour, with the loss of nearly half her ship company. She had recently arrived from refit in the United States and had carried out a patrol in the Mediterranean. The submarine was raised in September 1943 and beached. Some bodies were recovered.
In 1957, the wreck was sold for scrap and two more submariners skeletons were discovered. These were buried at sea four miles off Grand harbour. A prayer was read by Captain R L Alexander before the flag draped coffin was committed to the deep.
HMS PANDORA bell is currently on display at the RN Submarine Museum, Gosport, Hampshire.